Thursday, November 03, 2005

 

GMail vs. Outlook


Cedric published an interesting comparison of GMail vs Microsoft Outlook. What I personally value in GMail is "archiving, not deleting" and really good spam filter.
  • The first thing I noticed in my various labels and filters is that I seemed to receive a lot less email. For example, where certain mailing-lists used to receive more than fifty messages a day, GMail showed me less than ten on a daily basis. The answer was obvious, of course: GMail displays the number of conversations, not messages, which makes me feel like I'm less overwhelmed. Of course, it's just perception, but perception is important when you are trying to keep up with the deluge of emails that hits you every day.
    ...
  • Conversations, conversations, conversations. This is a direct follow-up to the point above, but no mailer has come close to successfully capturing the meaning of an email conversation. GMail really nailed it, and compared to Outlook's abysmal conversation approach (no indentation in the threads and you can't even fold an entire thread, only the unread messages), it's a breath of fresh air.
  • GMail's spam filter is working very well. I tried many spam filters over the years and while there are some really good solutions for Outlook and Thunderbird, GMail's spam filter seems to be the best I've encountered so far, and I know quite a few people who are using their GMail account as a pure spam filter (and eventually switched completely over). ...
  • GMail's phishing detection is also very good, and is the reason why recommending GMail around me (especially to beginners such as my Mom) is a no-brainer.

Comments: Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?